Monday, June 10, 2013

Words don't cut it

 
James 1:27
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.
NLT


This building appeared to be barn stalls. In actuality they are homes.

DIF delivered three boys to Maggie's ministry. They were with her about a week then returned to their parents who live here in one of these.

This is another type of hut made of sticks and tarp. Keep in mind how hot it gets down here. It is very common to be in the 40's. Their is no relief from the heat of summer. I was inside one of the huts and the flies were almost unbearable.

Someone's home

This is a bathroom. I gathered it to be public

Aside from the heat, this day it was quite windy. Their was allot of dust in the air.
This is the mother of the children that were dropped off at Maggies.
This is a little girl eating a cookie delivered by DIF.
A mother and child listen as the President of DIF gives a short presentation.
I wonder what is going through his mind. How is his life going to turn out?
A little girl watches as her mother goes through some donated clothing for their family.


With the temperatures starting to climb, we decided that it would be best to make our visit to the community of Marquez in the morning to avoid the heat of the afternoon. Maggie and I packed up my truck with a load of donated clothing and headed off to visit the family of three children that stayed with Maggie at her ministry for approximately a week. Prior to leaving for Marquez, Maggie mentioned to me several times that this would be an experience I would never forget. She said, "This will be like nothing you have ever seen before." I've seen some pretty ugly places and honestly, thought I had pretty much seen it all. I'm not sure anything can prepare you for walking through a community like this, without question, this was another community that ranked right up there with the worst ones I have visited.
 
In the community of Marquez the men work hard. They are out in the heat working the fields. I am not sure which crops are grown here but the soil looks really good. The men and young boys work long hours to provide income for their families. Families can rent these barn style homes for 400 peso's per month which is a little more that $30.00. I had the opportunity to walk inside one of the homes. It was pretty much empty, a small table and some old dirty 5 gallon pails to sit on. Their was no bed, only some blankets and some old foam for the family of 6. On the small table was a watermelon that had been cut open, half was gone and the remaining half was left, crawling with flies. I am sure that was their lunch. Their are no coolers or refrigerators to keep their food out of the heat or protect it from critters.
 
When we arrived in Marquez we happened to run into DIF. (Social Services) They were doing a clothing distribution in the community that day as well. Ironic! We partnered with them as they we headed for the exact same place we were going. God has blessed us with an amazing relationship with DIF. It is so essential in order to work with them in the future. The President of DIF was there as well and her and I connected, I had the chance to share with her for the first time our plans to construct the orphanage. She was very excited and offered assistance to us. It was a divine appointment, I still can't believe how we crossed paths. Even she said to me, "I feel God arranged for us to meet today." WOW!
 
I look back on this experience. I don't know what to say, I don't have words. If I think of the comforts of life that I have, even living in Mexico, it simply blows my mind how good we have  it. I can't believe that there are still people living like this? I think of North American and all the things that we take for granted. This sure could be me in one of those photos, it could be my children, but for whatever reason God chose to put us in North America. A nation that is blessed beyond belief! Wow, can you imagine what it would be like living in a barn stall? I can't imagine and don't even want too.
 
 
Wow, what a challenge. It sure makes me ask myself allot of very hard questions?
 
Be Blessed everyone,
Con Mucho Amor
 
Brian





No comments:

Post a Comment